Sunday, September 23, 2012

17 miles!

I tried very hard to get myself back on track this last week. If you recall, the week prior was a disaster with back to school, back to early wake ups, crazy work stuff, kids back to school and their homework.

So on Saturday, I headed into the city for the New York Road Runner's 5th Avenue Mile. I have never run this before. Last year, I volunteered at this event though. Truth be told, I have NEVER run a single mile - nor have I run a mile fast. I headed to this race with a bit of anxiety. Normally, the first mile of my runs are horrible so what in the world would a single mile race be like??
This race is set up in age and gender categories. I'm placed in the female 30-39 group - the majority of the woman around me look like they are going to be FAST. Holy crap. In the corral, I'm standing behind a woman who has a normal body with meat on her bones and a cute top on - I predict she is going to run at a speed I can handle so I will keep her in my sights. Gun goes off! I'm like 1/8 of the way and I glance at my watch. UMMM....7:04. No - dangerous. For starters, I'm way too clumsy to handle this pace. Yet it does explain why my lungs are on fire. 1/4 mile sign and I want to quit. I'm not fast so why am I trying this race? But really, how embarrassing would it be to quit a one mile race when I have 26.2 in like 40 days. 1/2 mile sign - ok, I've slowed down a little but I'm still going fast. Normal girl is directly in front of me - she also went out too fast, realized it, and slowed. 3/4 mile mark - I can see the finish line! Just keep going....and then BYE BYE normal girl...I blow by her and spring the rest of the course to cross the finish line!! YEAH! Super happy. 9 minutes 14 seconds. NEVER in my whole life have I run this fast...not even in high school for the timed mile - considering I never actually participated in that and just walked a lap then lied :)

Sunday morning, bright and early, my mom and I head to our favorite long run spot. We park in Loch Arbor, make our way over to the Asbury Park boardwalk and there we go. Gorgeous day with plenty of people to look at, plenty of houses to assess, waves were solid, wind was crazy. We did pretty good! Definitely stronger than last year which is a good feeling. We took more walk breaks the 2nd half but that's ok - we got that shit done.

No comments:

Post a Comment