Monday, September 17, 2012

Personal Record!!!!

Yeah me!!

After a week of stress, poor sleep, not able to get all workouts in, and less than stellar diet - I somehow turned that all around and ended on a high note!

The beginning of the school year is rough. Last year and the year before during the first few weeks back to school were the worst training weeks out of them all. It came as no surprise that this year would also be rough. It's still a disappointment though.

Saturday morning was the Fitness Mind, Body Spirit 4 mile race in Central Park. It also happened to be a a nice break from a required long run. Turned out to be a gorgeous chilly morning. Since I'm not a strong runner, I don't actually "race" at a race. I start it and finish it. Yet this time, within the first two minutes of crossing the start line I picked a time goal. My legs were feeling fresh and my breathing was really easy. My goal was 45 minutes. For many - that's too long for a 4 miler but for slow ass me that's a good time goal. This would require very little walk breaks and maintaining a faster pace. I ran solid - under 11 min/mile for the 1st mile, walked through the water stop and then back to running. I did this the entire race only walking through water stations and part way up one killer hill (Central Park is a killer with the damn hills)...I also walked for a few seconds out of confusion. As I was coming up to what I thought should be a left turn and into the home stretch with the finish line in sight (this is based on previous races) - I all of a sudden realized that the course was not making a left but going straight. I got totally confused and started walking trying to figure it all out. It wasn't until I could hear (but not see) the finish line announcements that I started to run - then sprint trying to make my goal. In the end, I got very close to my goal - 45:48.

This is huge for me. It's proof that all the hard work I have been putting in is finally paying off. It also lets me know that with speed sessions, more running and less walking breaks and more running confidence, I can seriously improve my time. Maybe not in time for Nov. 4th - but it's something I will definitely put into motion after.

Until next week (assuming I survive the first 18 miler of the season!)

No comments:

Post a Comment