Monday, August 9, 2010

Week 4 done?

Well - week 4 took place on vacation in Florida. Hutchinson Island to be exact. Had an excellent time - beautiful weather!
I experimented with aqua jogging. I tried both deep water and chest high water. It is quite a workout. My legs are still tired! So let's say it was a day for me to run 4 miles - that would take me close to an hour so I aqua-jogged for an hour instead. I was mindful of keeping my pace up but if I noticed myself slow down I threw in a few minute sprint.
I also swam laps daily.
And I did close to 5 miles on land. Hot as friggin hell with like 90% humidity.
I also did my best to eat well...even at different restaurants for dinner I made healthy selections.
Now - for my long run of the week. I didn't get to it Saturday - last day of vacation and trying to cram things in. No excuse - but that's just reality. Sunday morning we left for the 24 hour car ride. My intention was to arrive back in NJ Monday morning, take a quick nap and then get my long run in. Upon arriving home, I felt like a train hit me. I had only managed a few hours - like 3 - of interrupted sleep during our journey. Crammed in the backseat with both kids! I felt dizzy and just off. I feel guilty for not managing the run but it's pretty obvious that if I even attempted it, it would have been a disaster.
I'm glad I added that week of wiggle room to my marathon countdown.
Tomorrow I will continue on Week 5. I'm thrown off a day so I'm looking at Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday runs - with a good, long run on Saturday. Tuesday & Thursday I will also add in weight training. Friday I'll do yoga.
I'm getting nervous. But I'm also proud of myself.

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Kim! Flexibility is the key. It sounds like you are doing some really good work in preparation for the marathon; if listening to your body has you shift your schedule a day or so every now and then, you will likely do more good for yourself my listening and staying healthy.

    Way to go...McMahon

    ReplyDelete