Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week 7 DONE!!

Wow - I cannot believe I just completed 13.5 MILES!! Unbelievable.
I'm not even phased really by the runs during the week - they range from 4-6 miles about...if I'm tired or sinusy then of course they feel like a big deal but in reality they are nothing.
Today was truly amazing. I had very little anxiety to start which was good. I felt strong until about mile 7 when the hunger kicked in and the energy started to fade. My legs were feeling a little heavy too. But here's what worked...
1. Visualization. Each inhale I visualized the oxygen working through my body - not just going into my lungs. The oxygen was flowing all the way down to my toes and with each breath the heaviness in my legs started to go away.
2. Perspective. This had two variations. The first perspective was me remembering if I could go through childbirth TWICE then I can for damn sure move my feet one in front of the other for three friggin' hours. When that thought process stopped working it was just about the time my wedding song came on the ipod. Bob Marley - I'm Still Waiting. Almost instantly a sob formed in my throat but I fought it back which made me struggle to catch my breath. How am I doing this run - mentally bitching & complaining - when 4 years ago this time of year Chris was enduring treatment for a brain tumor. Radiation, Chemo, Avastin, Full-time work, a 2 1/2 year old, a new born and lunatic me - ALL that and almost no bitching & complaining.
What a wake up call??? Who do I think I am?? Shut up and do it. That got me through the rest of the way.
I do this for Chris. I need this awareness & research to happen. I can't imagine my life without him and "Ya Gotta Believe" I'm going to bust my ass doing everything I can to make sure brain tumors are a thing of the past.
Thanks for the ongoing support!
Kim
PS - I won a VIP Pass to the Crowdrise/NYRR pre-marathon tent!!! I have a good feeling about this!

2 comments: