Thursday, January 28, 2010

Shift of focus

OK! I have reached my goal and I am looking forward to seeing by how far it can be exceeded.
But now I can take my focus and shift it from fundraising to training. I'm still in a kind of base building. Taking those few weeks off really set me back. The break was to "rest" my leg but I guess it didn't work too well since my leg still freakin' hurts.
I tried running barefoot again tonight (on the treadmill of course!). I did this last summer and it worked well. I don't know - my leg still hurt but I don't think as much. My calves on the other hand were on FIRE. Why? Because when you run barefoot you run more on the balls of your feet - there is no heel strike.
Tomorrow is a day off then Saturday is my "long run". It's only about 4 miles or so this week - remember, I'm still base building. I add approximately one mile to my long run each week...and my runs during the week slowly increase.
Not looking for speed at all but I am aware that I am the slowest runner on the planet. I'm also following the Galloway strategy which means I take frequent walk breaks regardless of how long my run is supposed to be.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Team McGraw! Let me know how I can help get you to the starting line in NYC!
    Coach Kevin
    Team McGraw

    coachkevin@tugmcgraw.org
    http://kevinleathers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach! I'm glad you're tracking me - keeping me on the ball!! YEAH!
    PS - I forgot to congratulate you on your insanely long race :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, make no mistake...Coach Kevin WILL keep you on the ball! I remember when I was telling him all about a cold that was getting passed around on our tour bus...and he called me out...from across the country...and explained how I had done it all to myself by virtue of dehydration that I'd created by not drinking enough water on a long run and running at altitude the day before.

    GUILTY. He's the man. Use him as a resource...and it's great to have you as part of Team McGraw!

    ReplyDelete