Friday, July 22, 2011

It's Friggin Hot.

Normally I would post at the end of the week following my long run but I like to keep you on your toes. And I didn't do a long run last weekend so I didn't post an update.

I have finally started the official training - meaning, the training that is mapped out in a spreadsheet that is hanging on the refrigerator...this allows me to cross off the days as I do them. This seems to work well for me. I'm thinking maybe I should do something like this year round. After this weekend, I will have completed week 1 of the marathon training schedule.

All has been going well although I feel as if I have no stamina or endurance. First off, I don't think my body is made for running. I can powerwalk with no problems at all but within 30 seconds of going into a run I'm DONE. So my alternating run-walk-run has turned more to walk-run-walk. Maybe it's the heat...maybe it's not. And the fact that I keep looking at my watch to try to stick to some kind of set intervals is really starting to piss me off. I feel like it takes away from my ability to get into some sort of groove. Well wouldn't you know, Jeff Galloway posted on Twitter that he is now selling a vibrating interval timer that's about the size of a pedometer! I ordered it. I'm hoping for a few things - 1. it keeps me more consistent and honest with my intervals and 2. it allows me to get into some kind of groove.

Now let's talk heat. It's summer so I know it's hot. I've been getting out the door for my runs by 7:15am in order to beat some of the heat. But 105-110 degrees with humidity is a bit much for me. So yesterday, today & tomorrow I'm not running. But I also can't just sit here so I've started P90x. I started with Plyometrics. The dude specifically says this is for athletes (which I still don't consider myself) - it helps to build legs muscles, endurance, burn fat, etc. It kicked my ass. I had to modify a few things - whether they were just too damn hard or I didn't like the movement and I was a little afraid of hurting a knee or ankle. But I finished the 60 minutes o' torture. Yesterday I tried Shoulders & Arms. This was good. I used a lighter weight and did 15 reps each move. I sweat my booty off for 60 minutes with this one too. Today I may try to Kenpo for cardio.

My long run will be EARLY Sunday morning - and will be about 10 miles. Part of me is excited to get back into this but then part of me is scared as hell.

As for nutrition, I'm tracking my food on Sparkpeople. I like this BUT my one complaint is that it doesn't adjust my dietary requirements based on my physical activity. It has me eating 1200-1500 calories/day (this also gets broken down into carbs/protein/fat)...but with my run & P90x the other day I BURNED 700 calories...it did not make any adjustments for this. It suggests I make adjustments. If I knew how to do this properly, I probably wouldn't have to be tracking my food on Sparkpeople in the first place! I found another site that does this BUT it's also $3/week and although that doesn't seem like much, I feel like I'm gonna get ripped off.

That's about all for now. Stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment