Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hangover Run...

ERRRR....WAIT A MINUTE!! Actually - for the thousands of women who ran today in Central Park it was actually the Mini 10K but for me (oh - I'm SURE I'm not alone!) it was a rough hangover run.
That, of course, was not my intention. The plan was to run a decent race and beat last year's time by like 10 minutes. What happened was this:
Friday night was the end of year dinner party for my school. I figured I would have a glass of sangria and then stick to water. Like all of a sudden I'm someone else :) But let's not blame me - let's blame Mosaico Restaurant for making some delicious sangria. I didn't really overeat except maybe for some bread (I'm addicted to bread)...and although I did drink a ton of water, I simply had a tiny bit too much alcohol. I will pat myself on the back for deciding to cut out the sangria and switch to a beer though. I'm an idiot.
So bedtime came around midnight for me (around 3 HOURS later than my regular snooze time). Holy shit! The alarm clock went off at 5 AM!! AM!! I stumbled downstairs and started coffee and kept wishing that somehow I could figure out a way to go back to sleep. It was just painful. I am an 8 hour/night sleeper. I can get by on7 hours but anything less and I feel extremely deprived. And grumpy.
So my mom & I get to Central Park - meet up with teammate, Sharon, and a couple of her friends and off to the start corrals. I'm feeling tired still...and crampy (there hasn't been an event yet that I haven't had my period for!).
And we're off!! Sluggish. I just want to finish, get my medal and go home. My mom and I stay together for 99% of the race - she probably could've gone faster but she stayed with my sluggish, dehydrated ass. Until the last 400 meters when she decided she had to beat the old lady in front of us. Off goes my mom!! 2 minutes later there is Lizzie! Jumping up & down - got a nice big hug and she jumped on the course to finish with me...more accurately, Liz probably finished 45 minutes earlier (she says not but she's too kind to say otherwise) but crossed the finish line a 2nd time to run with me.
I also want to thank teammate, Anne, for giving a huge cheer as my mom & I ran by!Thank you!
Official results show I was about 1 min 30 seconds faster then last year's race. So nowhere near my goal. As usual.
I have a shitload of training to do. And I have to get my diet in check. And with all the training I won't really be drinking but if I do, I'll stay away from sangria. I'm also going to try hot vinyasa - but now that I think about it, couldn't I just do regular vinyasa in mid-day summer heat right in my backyard. My neighbors have seen stranger things from us so maybe I'll give this cheaper option a try. I'm also going to work the heavy bag in the basement.
But right now, I'm going to take a nap.
Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment