Sunday, April 17, 2011

Rutgers Unite!

Well - this was supposed to be a half marathon....meaning 13.1 miles. Apparently the race turned out to be only around 10 miles due to flooding on the course the night before during the torrential rains! Whatever - probably better for me anyway since I went into this completely unplanned. And in reality - I think we managed to do 13.1 anyway since the damn shuttle didn't pick us up where we parked so we had to haul ass to get to the start line on time.
Here's the thing...I was unprepared. No excuses - I slacked off big time. And I know myself well enough to realize my behavioral patterns in life. I tend to slack off, then go balls-out extreme, then get to a good spot where I stay for a while....and then eventually slack off again. I cannot figure out how to be consistent.
So - I slacked off. But I registered and paid the $75 registration so my fat ass was going to show up and do what I could. I was perfectly content with walking the entire way.
On the walk from the car to the start I was playing some mind games. And they weren't pumping me up - they were making me think this was the dumbest thing I've ever done. My friend, April, talked me down off that ledge before I went too far.
At the start line - I happened to be standing a few feet behind the 12 min/mile pacer. As we crossed the start line I decided that I would keep this pacer in my sight for as long as possible. I kept this up until mile 5...even with a few walk breaks. I'm not sure why but I started to slow down here...my knee started to twinge and my ankle was doing that fall asleep tingle that happened at the end of the NYC Marathon. Around mile 6 I stopped at the potty - wow no lines and clean AND toilet paper. My lucky day! Around mile 8 - I saw the "Run Now, Tequila Later" sign which made me giggle and then I realized that I knew where I was....we had speed walked this route in reverse to get to the start...I knew the finish was soon so I kicked up the pace. Last band playing before I rounded the corner for the straight away to the finish line was playing the White Stripes. I laughed - ran harder - and thought, "Did Chris somehow get them to play this song??" - I actually turned around to look for him. But then I heard my name being yelled and I saw Chris & the kids to my right yelling & waving. Awesome feeling! Then I heard my name again....Team McGraw friend, Sharon, was there cheering too!
I crossed that finish line and thought, "No way was that 13.1 miles"...found out a bit later that it was NOT 13.1 but whatever. It was fun. It got me in the mode again....and it was good training for the next 13.1 I have in 2 weeks :)
I feel great despite the little twingey in my knee. I'm glad I did it even though I wasn't really ready for it. And I'm ready to get my shit going!
Plus - I like that I'm getting medals!

No comments:

Post a Comment